Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"Fix Me Up"


Just as I was pulling into the parking lot at work after my lunch break today, my cell phone rang.
It was the school.
Lizzy's eye was hurting her - she had complained four times before they gave in and called me.
The secretary put Lizzy on the phone with me.
Me: "What's wrong?"
Lizzy: "My eye just really, really hurts."
Me: "Like pink eye?"
Lizzy: "No, but it hurts. Can you come look at it?"
Me: "Um, I just got back to work. It's only two hours until school is out. Can you last that long?"
Lizzy: "I don't think so."
Me: "Did you have the school nurse look at it?"
Lizzy: "She's not here today."
Me: "Did the secretary look at it?"
Lizzy: "Yes. That's why she called you."
Me: "Are you sure you can't make it two hours?"
Lizzy: "I don't think so."
Me, getting frustrated: "Well what do you want me to do?"
Lizzy: "Can you just please come here and fix me up?"
How could I say no to that?
I turned around and drove to school (which I had just driven by ten minutes earlier on my way back to work).
When I got there, her eye looked fine.
Turns out, all she needed was a hug from her mom.
I'm so glad I took a long lunch and gave her that hug!

No comments:

Post a Comment