Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"Is Santa Jewish?"

It must be fun to be a first grade teacher.
I can't imagine the things they know about our families, and the questions they get. 
Lizzy's teacher got a new question yesterday. 
Here's the email I got from her:
Lizzy asked today, “Is Santa Jewish?”  Oh my gosh!!!!!  So funny!  I was explaining Hanukkah to the class today and I read a couple books…she swears she has a book at home that says that Hanukkah is Jewish!  Kaia
I couldn't figure out where that questions came from, until I found Lizzy frantically paging through a book we had read the night before.

Me: "What are you doing?"
Lizzy: "I know it's in here. Mrs. Hart told me to look it up."
Me: "Look what up?"
Lizzy: "I told her we have a book that says Santa is Jewish. I just have to find it."

That's when it hit me.

We had read that book the night before, and at one point Santa says "Jolly good." I jokingly said "Santa must be British."

Lizzy heard "Santa must be JEWISH!"

PS: the book is "Santa Claus is coming to North Dakota"… kinda cute (I found it at Walmart).

No comments:

Post a Comment