Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Miss Independent

I just watched Lizzy get a drink of water.

I know, not that amazing, but stay with me and you'll see why it's noteworthy.

Lizzy was thirsty but I was busy with Morgan. She rolled her eyes at me, and I calmly told her she's big enough to get herself a drink of water. She stomped into the kitchen (this was quite dramatic, as she was wearing dress-up clickety princess shoes, and wings.. wonder why she didn't just fly?)

Even with her high heels on, she's not tall enough to reach the cups or the faucet. So she dragged a chair over to the counter, climbed on the chair, then onto the counter. She opened the cupboard to get a cup. This is when I realized it's a good thing most of our cups are plastic..at least four fell to the ground. Lizzy climbed off the counter, off the chair, and picked up the fallen cups. Then she climbed back on the chair, then back onto the counter. Then she spotted a water bottle, which she then decided she needed. So she got that out, set it on the counter, moved her chair over so she could reach the faucet, turned the water on, climbed off the chair to pick up the water bottle (it had fallen onto the floor). At some point she found a bottle of Powerade in the fridge. Next thing I saw, she was pouring that into the water bottle, then adding water to fill it to the top. Finally, she had her drink. She even got the top put on by herself.

What's so amazing about this, is that it took her at least ten minutes to complete this task. I could have done it for her in about one minute. But she is pretty independent, and is quite the problem solver. Yes, she talked to herself the entire time she worked on getting that drink of water, and yes, I wish I would have had a video camera rolling. She didn't know I could see her, which allowed her to be herself and do it her way. And you know what? Her way worked just fine. And I think the high heels and wings maybe helped a little too!

No comments:

Post a Comment